Thursday, October 7, 2010

Back to my Kentucky Roots


The National Association of Women MBA's had their annual conference this past week in Louisville, KY. My dad is from Kentucky, so I welcomed the opportunity to visit. I forgot to take any outfit pics, although I was wearing a black pants or skirt suit with a button down and pearls all weekend, hardly post-worthy.








I did find some amazing gems in Louisville. If you have images of rednecks and tiny town, you should visit. Louisville has amazing food, not just BBQ, just upscale modern takes on American and Italian that are fit for any east coast city. After stepping out of of our hotel, we immediately met a kind man who a) gave us the complete history of the city, as well as neighborhood descriptions b) invited us to dinner and insisted that his wife is an amazing cook c) tried to set up my friend with his cute son. Great city! Here were a few of my favorite things:





HillBilly Tea. Local, delicious, and fantastic pastries, food and tea.



I realize this tea looks like anti-freeze, but it is Macha, a Chinese Green tea. Very refreshing, and served with just the right amount of sugar. You have to love the mason jar, and the plate that looks like it is my grandmother's.











Lynn's Paradise Cafe This photo of the inside barely does it justice, it looks like a pastel garage sale. The food was authentic, delicous, and the only place I could find a "hot brown". My dad grew up on this open face turkey sandwich with gravy.




We started with fried green tomatoes (served with a sauce of just the right spiciness) and Jambalya as my entree. It was delicious! Although, if you are a purest, stear clear. It not the traditional stew, but fantastic all the same. The sausage was just a bit sweet, which added great flavor. I do not think it is physically possible to finish this whole plate, so if you go, share.

And of course, wash it down with some great beer.








1 comment:

  1. My recent Bon Appetit claimed that Louisville is one of the top 5 food cities in the US... I apparently need to check this out the next time Matt and I go to visit his family. P.S. I totally think you should post pictures of your suits, as it would amuse me greatly.

    ReplyDelete