Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Photos that make me homesick

I am from New Mexico. It the most majestic, unique state in the union (in my humble opinion.) The views and endless, and the mixing of historic Mexican and Native American cultures makes it colorful, rich and delicious. I mean the food not the dirt. Although the dirt is red like the chili. My sweet parents still live in NM, and sent me some pictures from their weekend. They took a little road trip to Taos. I miss the fall at home, it smells like wood smoke and pinon nuts.

This is my mom trying to look rugged. I am actually quite impressed. (She is not the outdoorsy type. She is more likely to drink Earl Grey tea and read on the plaza at our house than hike anywhere.) Yes there are rivers in New Mexico, no it is not all cacti and dirt. That's Arizona.


The most beautiful churches in the world are in New Mexico. Rome has nothing on these. They are tough, forlorn, and dusty. They are made of wood and adobe with huge vigas in the ceilings holding up the towers. (A viga is a large circular wooden piece that runs across the ceiling, each about a foot apart for support. They are visible on the inside and make adobe structures feel very warm and earthy.)






A general store along the drive.












No trip with my mother would be complete without a least one activity involving wine. She is wearing the chicest drapey cardigan/wrap in this photo. Sorry it's so little!





The dried chilis hanging on this building are ristras. My mom picked one up for me at the Indian market and sent it to DC, I hung it in the kitchen. I think my roommates were a little confused by they obliged. :)









I love the wooden patios/porches. Just tell me somewhere is more beautiful than this. Actually don't, because I won't believe you.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty pretty! Don't be too homesick... aren't you going home for the holidays soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing these pics! i've never been to NM and it looks so pretty =)

    ReplyDelete